Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hola, amigos - tres?

If you're the kind of person who likes to enjoy a weekly meal in a good Mexican restaurant, I have one piece of advice for you: Do not move to upstate New York. There is no Mexican food here. Nada. Half an hour away, there is a place called the Rio Grande Tex-Mex Grille, and it is owned and operated by people whiter than I am. And that, my friends, is saying something. We went there one evening, and while the food was technically edible and didn't, for instance, require a visit to either an emergency room or a pharmacy, it wasn't remotely Mexican in any really helpful sense of the word. That is the only Mexican restaurant food I have eaten in three months. Until tonight. Tonight, we drove an hour to go shopping, and since we were already in the neighborhood, went to the only restaurant in a 120-mile radius where your food will be cooked and served by brown-skinned Spanish-speaking people. It was glorious. More than glorious. I may have to find excuses to go to the big city more often. I had the vegetarian combo No. 3, a diet Coke, guacamole, cheese dip (for my daughter, she loves it, what - I'm supposed to deny her?) and a heaping helping of oh HELL yes for dessert. I hurt myself it was so good.

1 Comments:

Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

I once ordered an enchilada in vermont that had no spices whatsoever on it. Not even the tiniest bit. Glad you found your place!

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home