Monday, May 15, 2006

Everything is oh, so far away

A question up front to all you readers out there who have brilliant ideas and actually follow through with them: What the? Seriously. I mean, do you just plunge right in? Do you do a little research? Once you start your research and find the arena is more (complex, difficult, flooded with talent), how do you plow right in without a satchel full of second guesses and anxiety? I mean, didn't your parents ever TELL you that you sucked at follow-through, and they weren't going to pay for dance lessons because this was just going to be like horseback riding lessons, clarinet lessons and therapy, where you'd quit abruptly the minute things got the least bit difficult? And didn't you ever come to the realization, maybe in your upper-mid-thirties, that instead of being insensitive, maybe your parents were simply insightful and hit your nail square on the head? IN A NEW YORK YARD SALE So this weekend, I did something I've never done before - something pretty out of character. No, I didn't follow through on some creative idea. It wasn't THAT out of character. Friday night I drove with Xerxes and most of the NY cousins to Syracuse, to hours away, where we spent the night at J&B's so we could wake up at the crack of doodle-doo and go yard sale-ing. In Florida, yard sales happen every weekend all year long, and if you are so inclined, you watch the classifieds and show up on someone's lawn at 4 a.m. so you can watch them through night vision binoculars. The moment they stir inside the house - even if they are just turning over in bed - you rush in and offer them 35 cents for the bed they're sleeping in. Up here, things are a little more ogranized, as was the case in Syracuse. Instead of leaving yard sales (tag sales?) to individual choice, the tradition here is to designate a certain weekend for everyone in a given area to trundle their shit onto the lawn and let the haggling begin. We trolled the sales of a large housing development called Radisson, where the houses ranged from '80s condoriffic to Millennial McMansion. The thing about yard sales? they kind of suck. I've never had god luck at them. And I never will, because I do not seize the buying opportunities correctly, I am easily convinced that something really crappy is kinda cool, and I slide right by the attic Rembrandts and sterling grape snips that eventually make their way to the Antiques Roadshow and inspire gasping from all involved. But I did score two old school desks to use as end tables in our renovated schoolhouse house, and a really incredible oak trestle table for our kitchen. I'm especially proud of the table, because it was obviously well loved. YOU ARE BUT DUST This is an all-out plug for a line of cosmetics coming to the market soon. It's called Dust, and it's the brainchild of a young lady I know. A couple months ago, we were at the home of one of our NY cousins and this woman, AZH, was all aflutter with her idea for creating a new cosmetic line in the same vein as bare minerals. She had researched a little online, and had come up with a name and some packaging ideas. I am going to be utterly honest here when I tell you that my reaction was something along the lines of, "Hmmm. I guess that fantasy is a nice way to pass an evening." I didn't think much more about it until Friday night in Syracuse where she gave us all makeovers with her line. Zoinks. (Also, see top of this entry.) So, good for her. And when she gets her Web site up, I'll link it so everyone can order a little bit.

2 Comments:

Anonymous peripateticpolarbear said...

Sounds like you majorly scored! 2 kids desks and an oak table---all I find are puzzles that are missing pieces.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Bettie Bookish said...

What I didn't write about was the FUNCTIONAL treadle Singer sewing machine that was going for $45, and which I missed out on because I had to stop and think for 2 seconds, while someone else walked RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME and pulled out her money.

Meanwhile, I was all, "Geez, $45? I dunnoooo..."

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home