Monday, June 20, 2005

This is a good way to avoid all of it

How did I manage to put all my deadlines and obligations in one, neat, impossible-to-achieve, two-day period? First,t here are the three magazine stories I'm supposed to write by, uh, tomorrow. Have I even started? No. And I won't start this morning, since I will be driving an hour away to pick up my son from his trip. And then this evening we will be supping with relatives who are in town. Then there is a regular weekly column that I should be writing today and tomorrow. Then there is the church newsletter, which the vestry decided I should just pull together like, NOW. So I'm supposed to go to work tomorrow and do that. I'm also supposed to get some painting done at the house, so that WE are not holding up the contractors. Let me repeat that - The contractors are worried that WE will delay THEM. Oh, and did I mention that we're supposed to leave a week from tomorrow for a weeklong family vacation, so I really do have to get all this stuff done before I go? For a long time following my Traumathon 2004, I noticed that my habit of incessant leg shaking had disappeared. I think I was shellshocked at first, and then I really had calmed down. But guess what -- it's back. If only centering prayer tasted more like chocolate or starred a sexy, prime-time TV actor, maybe I would be able to find the time for it and I would be all calm, reflective and serene all the time. I'd make only commendable choices and spread happiness around me wherever I went. Let me just add all that to my To Do list.

2 Comments:

Blogger PPB said...

yeah, taste like chocolate....or at least peppermint.

10:42 AM  
Blogger What Now? said...

Ugh, I hear you on the centering prayer thing. It so clearly is something that I should be doing, and yet it has no immediate reward equal to that of, say, lying on the couch vegging.

As Tom Lehrer says about "The Vatican Rag," "If they really want to market the product...," chocolate should obviously be added to centering prayer!

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home