Thursday, April 07, 2005

Say it together, naturally

Picture me in line at Walgreens. In front of me is a woman in nurse's scrubs holding a box of Revlon haircolor, a lipgloss and a Peppermint Patty. (Been there, sister.) Behind me is a woman who is standingtooclose. Honestly, if she had dropped her hands, she'd have goosed me. So close that, if I had turned around to face her, we would have had one of those TV moments in which we either had to kiss or suddenly remember we "had to be someplace." Then she started singing, very softly, with the muzak. Lionel Ritchie. "I had a dream, I had an awesome dream..." It was like she was singing just to me. Uh.... I just remembered I have to be someplace. WE ARE POD PEOPLE The construction? Has not started. Smoky McGruff stopped by yesterday to finalize the contract and get the down payment check. We have one of those PODS ("portable on-demand storage") sitting in front of our house, and this weekend will be spent putting our things into it. Smoky told me that, shoud we need some help moving things out of the house, just let him know and he can send over "some feeble minds and strong backs." I replied, "Just the way I like 'em!" He laughed, and then put too fine a point on it: "Especially in guys, right!" Or in girls. ...There were people in the park, playing games in the dark... I, uh, I have to go. I'll, uh, see you in class.

4 Comments:

Blogger PPB said...

Ew. I hate it when people don't have that personal space bubble concept down pat. I need my space baby....

9:15 AM  
Blogger Moreena said...

How funny.

Now when we had (only minor) work done on her house, we made sure it was done before we actually moved in. Smart, you might think. BUT we ended up with wood floors completely different than the ones we picked out and visible waves in our lovely tile floors. All firmly glued and nailed and way too late to do anything about, really. The sad thing is that we didn't even have own any furniture or belongings to speak of at the time, so what inconvenience were we trying to avoid?

10:40 AM  
Blogger James said...

Well, as far as the singing stuff goes, St. Benedict had an admonition for just that sort of occasion: "Do not be annoyed with the brother who sings out of tune."

I'm not much for the noise people make, whether speaking or singing, but I try to keep those words in mind when I feel the creep of intolerance working its way up my spine.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Moreena said...

Are you all lost in the construction? I hope all is going well with your domicile redo.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home