Friday, April 22, 2005

Because it's my birthday, I'm going to...

Drink Bacardi like it's my birthday. Sleep late - until 7:15 a.m. - like it's my birthday. Wake up and find a gift and card left for me by my husband aand son in a pirate-themed gift bag like it's my birthday. Stay in my pajamas all morning like it's my birthday. Talk to my contractor for 20 minutes debating the relative merits of ripping out a strange soffit in Buttercup's room and replicating the tongue-in-groove ceiling we uncovered, or drywalling over the whole ceiling because he doesn't think the old wooden ceiling will ever be attractive like it's my birthday. Remind him to move the light fixture to the center of the room like it's my birthday. Wonder why (and how) we've lived in my dead mother's house for a week now without doing any real grocery shopping, so if we eat in tonight our supper will be Crunch Berries, salsa, Mesquite Barbecue potato chips and coffee creamer like it's my birthday. Think it's funny that, despite my being white, I received in the mail an AOL direct marketing CD for "AOL BLACKVOICES: An AOL created with (me) in mind" like it's my birthday. Call the computer repairperson and see if my Mac is ready yet so I can stop using this piece of crapo borrowed computer like it's my birthday. Try to scrub 20 years of indoor smoking off my mother's walls like it's my birthday. Box up scores of my mother's and grandmother's books like it's my birthday. Marvel at the number of self-help books my mother had like it's my birthday. Feel creeped out and dirty to find such titles as "How to Make Love to Each Other" and "Sex: If I Didn't Laugh I'd Cry" and "The Intimate Enemy" in Mom's collection like it's my birthday. Give up on work and play with Buttercup until naptime like it's my birthday. Remember that, this time last year, I was running to the bathroom to throw up every 10 minutes because I had just lost most of the organs in my pelvic cavity and my mother within 10-days, and now I'm sitting on the floor singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" with my daughter, so I really have no complaints like it's my birthday.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go shawty! It's yer birfday! Go shawty! It's yer birfday!
Happy Birthday, beloved Merlizerbeff! We're gonna party like it's 1999, or at least like it's NOT 2004, if you know what I'm saying.
I'm heaping many birthday blessings upon you, along with much love and my devoted, lifelong, stalker-like friendship.
Love muchly, An' Beppe

11:39 AM  
Blogger What Now? said...

Happy birthday!!

8:28 AM  
Blogger Moreena said...

And here I am, wishing you a wonderful day like it's your birthday.

2:41 PM  
Blogger PPB said...

Oh yeah, Bettie Bookish is back and it's her birthday!!!!! have a happy, happy day.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home